September 17, 2021 - Blog
How to remove bringmesports toolbar by mindspark
BringMeSports toolbar (by Mindspark Interactive Network) usually installs to Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox, but is compatible with Google Chrome as well.
Once installed, a below ribbon with several buttons to “get real-time sports scores, sports news, live sporting event coverage, video highlights and more” is added to your browser:
The bottons on this toolbar link you to free sports websites; also it contains a search box by Ask, and a button showing weather (using geolocationidentification) that however can be unavailable from time to time:
If you have BringMeSports, your browser Homepage and Default Search engine (in IE and Mozilla) may change to Ask. During toolbar installation process, the same window with Ask options opens twice thick and fast. This trick is done for a user not to clap eyes on the ‘Ask’ boxes pre-checked again. And even if a user removed checkmarks in the 1st window, but didn’t notice them in the 2nd one, his browser’ homepage changes to home.tb.ask.com:
While using websites offered by BringMeSports, new browser windows may open, asking you to take different surveys:
Google Chrome browser describes the following permissions of BringMeSports:
Program Files directory may have 2 BringMeSports folders with slightly different names:
Several background processes (with strange names that cannot be identified as related to 'BringMeSports': 1cbarsvc.exe, APPINTEGRATOR.EXE and AppIntegrator64.exe) are always running on your PC even if you don’t use a browser:
BringMeSports Manual Removal Instructions
Note. This is a self-help guide. Use it at your own risk. This article is provided "as is" and to be used for information purposes.
1. Before you start, please make sure you are logged as a system administrator.
Also, please save a copy of your important files to external hard drive/cloud storage.
2. Remove from the application from your computer:
From your desktop, click on Windows Start button and choose Control Paneloption (Windows 8 users: right-click on ‘Windows Start’ icon (by default, it is located in the left bottom corner of your screen), and choose Control Panel from the context menu):
• Click ‘Programs and Features’ under the ‘Programs’ category (Windows Vista, 7 and 8)/‘Add or Remove Programs’ (Windows XP),
• Please find ‘BringMeSports’ by Mindspark in the list, right click on it, choose ‘Uninstall’ and follow the prompts.
• Once uninstall is done, a webpage opens asking you to complete a survey. Simply close this page.
3. Please make sure that hidden files in your Windows Explorer are visible:
Start –> Control Panel (Appearance and Personalization) –> Folder Options –> ‘View’ tab –> find ‘Hidden files and folders’ and check a box ‘Show hidden files, folders, and drives’.
4. Follow this path - C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\AppData\Local\Temp (XP users:
C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USER_NAME\Local Settings\Temp) -> highlight all the files/folders here -> press ‘Shift’+’Delete’ and click ‘Yes’ to completely clean this folder (Note. If you receive messages that some files cannot be removed, just skip the file in question).
5. Please find the directories below and make sure that all the BringMeSports traces are removed:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\BringMeSports_1cEI
- C:\Program Files (x86)\BringMeSports_1c
6. Now please make sure that your browser is clean.
• Click on the Menu button in the right upper corner of Firefox window -> find Add-ons section -> check ‘Extensions’ and ‘Plugins’ tabs, and if you find BringMeSports here, please click on ‘Remove’ button:
• When you receive a below window, please make sure that 2 boxes with Ask Search Web removal options are checked before clicking on ‘OK':
• Restart Mozilla Firefox.
• When IE window is opened, press Alt+x keys on your keyboard to open Tools menu -> and click on Manage Add-ons;
• Open ‘Toolbars and Extensions’ section -> if you have BringMeSports toolbars here (there may be 3 items by Mindspark publisher here), highlight each one and click on ‘Disable’/‘Delete’ button.
• Open ‘Search Providers’ section -> set a new desired Home page from the existing list (right click on a new search engine, and choose ‘Set as default’ from the context menu -> now please highlight Ask Web Search and click on ‘Remove’ button on the bottom of the window:
• Again open Tools menu -> Internet Options -> General Tab -> ‘Home page’ section: if you see ‘http://home.tb.ask.com…’ link here, highlight and press ‘Delete’ button on your keyboard -> type a new web address you want to set up as your home page, and click ‘Apply’. You can also set other custom settings of your startup page in the ‘Startup’ section (to always open your last session, for example):
• Restart Internet Explorer.
• Type chrome://extensions in the Chrome address bar and press ‘Enter’ -> If you see BringMeSports here, please click on a trash can next to this addon:
• Restart Google Chrome.
7. Now, please install adaware antivirus to make sure you don’t have any infections on your machine:
• Click here to download adaware antivirus, and follow installation instructions from adaware antivirus User Guide (‘Installation and Uninstallation’ -> ‘ adaware antivirus Install’ section).
• Perform a full scan of your PC with adaware antivirus (following adaware antivirus User guide: ‘Scanning System’ -> ‘Running a scan’ section).
• Restart your PC.
8. If you continue facing issues with BringMeSports, please remove its traces from your registry. Before you start, please make sure you understand how important this part of your PC is. You cannot restore data from here once you delete something (‘Ctrl+Z’ never works in Registry Editor). And if you delete an incorrect component by mistake, it may damage your OS, or even make it unusable.
• To open the Registry, press ‘Win+R’ keys on your keyboard -> in the opened window type regedit and press ‘Enter’.
• Highlight main registry section called ‘Computer’ -> press Ctrl+F keys on your keyboard -> make sure Keys, Values, Data check-boxes in the ‘Find’ window are checked -> type bringmesports in the search field and click OK. Search results will highlight a key/value/data that contains BringMeSports components. If you find the exact match with the name of program you want to remove, right click on the element in question and choose ‘Delete’ from the context menu.
• Use F3 key to continue the search and to find all the necessary files.
• Repeat the same procedure with the word: home.tb.ask
• Exit the registry editor.
• Reboot your PC.
Lastly, it is recommended to always keep your antivirus program up-to-date with a real-time protection turned on, and perform weekly full scans to stay protected at all times.