How to remove checkmeup
CheckMeUp is a potentially unwanted application that claims to test and observe your PC’s broadband upload and download speeds. If installed, it also installs additional browser extensions/add-ons that display intrusive adverts when browsing the Internet.
CheckMeUp can be bundled with third party applications (usually through the use of a download manager) in such a way that it is commonly installed without the user affirmatively consenting to the install.
CheckMeUp is identical to (and sometimes labeled as) SpeedItUp, SpeedCheck and SpeedChecker.
In the above example, it is easy to miss the CheckMeUp offer (which is pre-checked by default) and install it without realizing. This is especially problematic, because simply by clicking ‘Next’ the user has ‘agreed’ to the application’s EULA, which states ‘you will be served and displayed with third party advertisements’.
How to recognize CheckMeUp
One form of advertisement caused by this potentially unwanted application.
1. Click Start (then Settings, for Windows XP users) -> Control Panel -> Programs (or Add/Remove Programs if using Windows XP) -> Uninstall a Program.
2. Once there, look for SpeeditUp/CheckMeUp (or similar entry) and select Uninstall/Change/Remove.
3. Click OK to save the changes. Follow any instructions that may prompt to remove this program.
That should fix the problem. If you continue to see ads, disable/remove SpeeditUp (add-ons and extensions) from your browsers:
SpeeditUp Internet Explorer add-on
1. Open Internet Explorer -> Click Tools -> Click Manage Add-ons -> Toolbars and Extensions. Once there, look for CheckMeUp, SpeeditUp, SpeedChecker or similar entries and click Remove or Disable (depending on the version of OS/browser version).
- Open Mozilla Firefox, go to Tools -> Add-ons -> Extensions -> Select CheckMeUp (or similar entry) add-on and click Disable.
- If you continue to have problems with removal of the SpeeditUp after following these instructions, reset your Mozilla Firefox settings to default.
How to reset Firefox:
- Open Mozilla Firefox, click Firefox menu (3 bar icon, top right corner) -> click ‘Open Help Menu’ icon (a circle with a ? inside) -> select ‘Troubleshooting Information’ -> click ‘Reset Firefox’ -> click ‘Reset Firefox’ in the opened window to confirm the selection. Firefox will close itself and will revert to its default settings.
- Open Google Chrome -> click the Chrome menu button (3 bar icon, top right corner) -> select Tools -> Extensions -> Find the SpeeditUp extension -> click Recycle Bin/Trash Can icon.
- If you are still encountering problems with SpeeditUp, reset your Google Chrome browser: Click on Customize icon (will be either a wrench or 3 bar icon) -> Tools -> Extensions -> Settings (at left corner of screen) -> Scroll to bottom of screen, click Show advanced settings…-> Reset Browser settings (located at bottom of window)
- Finally, it is recommended to always keep your antivirus up-to-date and perform weekly full scans.Also, we advise you to do a custom AV scan of any application downloaded from the Internet before you proceed with its installation.
- If you do not have an antivirus, click here to download Ad-Aware Free Antivirus+.