September 17, 2021 - Blog
How to remove New Tab Assistant
New Tab Assistant is a Browser Helper Object that will change the default search engine and new tab and protect these search settings. It is usually classified as a browser hijacker or Potentially Unwanted Program because once it gets to your computer it takes over your browsers by changing their settings without your permission.
New Tab Assistant may be a reason of various redirects, slowdowns and similar problems. Besides, you may notice that this application changed your start page and default search engine without your approval. In this case, you should be very careful because New Tab Assistant may try to show you altered search results and may try to redirect you to related websites.
Typically, the New Tab Assistant extension changes the default new tab page and can be found on Google Chrome browser. Each new tab page contains a search box. If you try to search using the provided search box, you will be redirected to Yahoo search.
The majority of PUPs can be installed in a bundle with some freeware or shareware you want. But you don't realize that you're getting Potentially Unwanted Program in addition with it too. Typically, users are not aware they installed these browser extensions while downloading free software. That is why it is always recommended to choose Custom Installation. Be attentive and never install software that you don’t know or trust.
If it wasn't your intention to download New Tab Assistant we recommend removing it from the computer.
1. Uninstall unwanted applications from your Control panel:
• Press Win+R and enter Control Panel
• Click OK and choose Uninstall a program
• Select New Tab Assistant and click Uninstall
• Click Start and open Control Panel
• Go to Add or remove programs
• Select New Tab Assistant
• Click on Remove
2. Remove New Tab Assistant from all your browsers:
• Open Mozilla Firefox, go ‘Tools’ -> ‘Add-ons’ -> ‘Extensions’.
• Find Internet New Tab Assistant and similar entries, and click ‘Remove’ or 'Disable'.
• Once you do that, go to Tools -> Options -> General -> Startup. Now select 'Show a blank page' when Firefox Starts or set a certain website, like Google or similar.
• Open Internet Explorer, go ‘Tools‘->”Manage Add-ons’ -> ‘Toolbars and Extensions’.
• Here, look for New Tab Assistant, and similar entries, and click 'Disable'.
• Now open IE -> Tools -> Internet Option -> General tab. Enter Google or other address to make it the default start page.
• Click the Chrome menu button on the Google Chrome browser, select Tools -> Extensions.
• Here, look for New Tab Assistant and similar unknown extensions and get rid of them by clicking on the Recycle Bin.
• Additionally, click on wench icon, go to settings and choose 'Manage search engines'. Change search engine to google or other.
• Then Go to section “On start” and make sure you get blank page while creating new tab.
3. Now please install adaware antivirus to make sure you do not have any infections:
• Click here and follow the installation instructions from adaware antivirus User Guide (‘Installation and Uninstallation’ -> ‘adaware antivirus Install’ section).
• Perform a full scan of your PC with adaware antivirus (following adaware antivirus User guide: ‘Scanning System’ -> ‘Running a scan’ section).
Finally, it is recommended to always keep your antivirus up-to-date and perform weekly full scans. Also, we advise you to do a custom AV scan of any application downloaded from the internet before you proceed with its installation.