Please click on the link to the each section below to review more detail.
Collection and Use of Personal Information
Adaware may request that you provide certain personal information in order to use our services or engage in activities through the Adaware Sites. By "personal information" we mean any information that identifies you as an individual. This includes: your name, your postal address, your e-mail address, and some on-line identifiers. We collect this information carry out the services that you have asked from us and to help improve our products and services. We provide more detail below on what personal information we collect and why.
- Customer Products and Support Details:
When you purchase any Adaware software products or services, we collect certain personal information about you and the products that you have purchased, including:
- Your name
- Your e-mail address, and
- Your product License number
- Notices when the license is about to expire and
- Software update information.
If you contact us for product support, we will maintain account notes on your product license number, hardware and the type of problems that you are experiencing. This helps us to track issues that you are experiencing and to further enhance our support for you.
Please note that certain support services offered through the Adaware Sites are not provided by Adaware, but by Adaware recommended support service providers. These support service providers can only collect and process your personal information to carry out the services we have asked them to do. They are required to meet both legal and industry standards to ensure that your data is protected. For more information about our service providers and partners with whom we share information, please see our section below on Sharing Personal Information With Other Companies.
- User Account and Contact Information:
If you choose to participate in our online forums, centers and communities (such as MyAdaware and the Adaware Beta Center), or if you request online support for any Adaware software products, we will ask you to create a user account with us.
For each user account, we maintain the following information:
- Your name
- Your account name and password
- Your e-mail address, and
- Your country of residence.
This helps us to:
- Provide you services and support that relate to your account with us,
- Send password reminders at your request,
- Oversee our on-line community offerings, and
- Alert you of events relating to your participation in the relevant forum, center or community.
- Name and E-mail Address:
If you have subscribed to Adaware newsletters, press releases and/or special offers, or if you enroll in the Adaware referral program, Adaware will ask you to provide:
- Your name
- Your e-mail address
For the referral program, the information we maintain will be used for tracking and communicating back to you the completion status of your referrals.
- Payment Information:
If you submit an on-line order for any Adaware software products or services through an Adaware online store, you will be asked to provide certain personal information to complete the purchase. This includes:
- Your name
- Your Postal Address
- Your e-mail, and
- Your credit card details
- Job Applicants:
When you apply for a job with Adaware, we will ask you to provide us some basic information, including your name, email address and phone number. Additional information that you provide us is voluntary. We will not ask you and we will not collect from you sensitive information such as about your religion, health, sexual orientation, or political affiliation. And the information that you provide us will be used to communicate with you, manage our hiring process, and to comply with laws and regulations. If you are later hired, the information may be used for employment and corporate management purposes.
- URLs of Flagged Websites:
Adaware maintains a list of urls that we have flagged as potentially suspicious. We do this to help support our products and protect our users.
- Online Identifiers:
- Domain Names:
- Data Trackers, Including Cookies and Web Beacons : "Cookies" are minor text files that are placed in your computer's browser and store your preferences.
Cookies do not provide Adaware with any personal information, however, if you provide Adaware with personal information through the Adaware Sites or elsewhere, that information may be linked to the data stored in the cookie.
- Sensitive Personal Information:
- Information That Does No Longer Identifies You:
Through some of the Adaware Sites and products, we collect certain data in order to improve our Sites and offerings, including for research and analysis and to protect our users. We make sure, however, that the data we collect keeps you anonymous and cannot be used to identify you. Some examples are:
- Statistical Information.
- Adaware may share with third parties aggregate statistical information, i.e. information that does not identify you as an individual, but refers to certain Adaware users as a whole or as a group. Examples of such aggregate statistical information include the number of users that downloaded a specific product or number of users that clicked on a particular advertisement
- For some of the Adaware products, we collect other information that does not identify you. Mentioned below in detail
- Adaware Secure Search. If you use Adaware Secure Search, a Chrome extension, we collect certain data at installation to help improve the product and your experience. This includes, geolocation, campaign tags, date and preferred search engine.
- Adaware Web Companion. When you install Adaware Web Companion, we ask if you would like to share some data that helps us to improve detection for potentially unwanted programs and otherwise improve our products and protect our users. It includes, the display name and version, publisher, install location and source.
- Adaware ad block. When you install and when you use Adaware ad block, we will collect the following information: install date; browser family, version, language and locale; ad block version and locale; IP address; update date; uninstall date; and feature state. We may also collect other data if certain features are enabled or if you agree to share data. But again, this data does not trace back to you.
- Adaware H2O. When you install Adaware H2O, we collect and aggregate (meaning it combines with other people’s general data and it cannot identify you) certain data about the installation including: what program you are installing, the code of the country where you are located, the session ID, OS version, and installed anti-virus applications.
- Adaware Download Companion. When you install and when you use Adaware download companion, we will collect certain data to help improve the product and your experience. This includes, product version, install data, update date, uninstall date, host browser family and version, OS version and bits, install source, and total downloads.
- Public Information: Please note that any and all information, discussions, opinions, blogs, postings, ideas, feedback and other communications and materials of any kind that you post, upload, submit or otherwise make available within the various forums, centers and communities on the Adaware Sites or elsewhere on the Adaware Sites will be considered public information and will not in any way be treated as confidential information.
- Information Collected By Third Party Web Search Providers:
Security of Personal Information
We take appropriate technical, physical, administrative and managerial procedures, and employ security measures and safeguards to protect personal information that is stored on our servers.
Where Adaware has given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of the Adaware Sites, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone. If you believe your password or account has been compromised, you should notify Adaware immediately.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use commercially reasonable and appropriate technical, physical, administrative and managerial procedures, security measures and safeguards to protect against the loss, misuse or alteration of information that we have collected from you at our site.
How Long We Maintain Your Personal Information
Adaware will retain your personal information for as long as necessary to provide you with the product and services you have requested and as needed to comply with our legal obligations and enforce our agreements.
Transfers of Personal Information To Different Countries
We primarily store information about our visitors, members, and customers in the Canada. However, we may transfer your personal information across national borders to other countries in compliance with applicable laws. For instance, as discussed under Third Party Cookies,” our analytics provider stores data in the United States. If you are a European resident, we transfer your data based European Commission-based Standard Contractual Clauses.
Your Ability to Access and Control Your Data
In order to keep your personal information accurate, Adaware depends on you to amend your user account(s) to include updated contact details. You may update your user account by accessing it electronically through the Adaware Sites.
You have certain rights to access and control your data under the law of some countries. This includes the right to:
If you wish to learn more about what personal information Adaware maintains and/or to which third parties such personal Information has been provided, please contact us. Adaware will make reasonable efforts to respond to your request within one (1) month.
If you are an E.U. resident and you have a dispute about how we are handling your personal information, you have the right to complain to a supervisory authority to enforce your rights. You can contact Adaware’s lead supervisory at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that if you request that Adaware delete personal information relating to you, you may no longer be able to continue to pursue certain activities at the Adaware Sites and/or to otherwise use the full functionality of the Adaware Sites.
- Access the personal information that you provide us and that we maintain;
- Restrict processing while we review any concerns you may have over the accuracy of the personal information we maintain;
- Object to
- Data processing based upon legitimate interests,
- Data processing for research or statistics,
- Direct marketing, and
- Decisions based exclusively on automated processing, such as profiling, so long as the decision does not impact our ability to enter or perform our contract services for you or is not based on your explicit consent;
- Withdraw your consent in instances where we must have your consent to contact you; and
- Transfer, or port, your personal information that you provided us in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format.
7075 Place Robert Joncas,
Quebec H4M 2Z5
You may also contact our Data Protection Officer at: email@example.com
Miscellaneous Provisions for U.S. Law
- California Privacy Rights
We do not provide Your Personal Information to third parties for marketing purposes. However, if You are a California resident, California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits You to request, once a calendar year, information regarding the disclosure of Your Personal Information by Adaware to third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. If applicable, this information would include the categories of Personal Information and the names and addresses of those businesses with which we shared customer information for the immediately prior calendar year (e.g., requests made in 2015 will receive information regarding 2014 sharing activities). To make such a request, please write us
- Children's Privacy
Adaware further recognize the particular importance of protecting the privacy of children and Adaware is committed to protecting children's privacy on the Internet. Adaware does not generally target children and does not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under the age of thirteen (13). If Adaware would discover that a child under the age of thirteen (13) has provided Personal Information through the Adaware Sites or if Adaware is contacted by a verifiable parent or legal guardian about his or her child's participation on the Adaware Sites, Adaware will delete the Personal Information about the child from Adaware's active user records.
Last updated: July 2018